Quick Hits from Hawai’i Football’s 44-20 loss in Mountain West-opener at UNLV
BY PAUL BRECHT | HONOLULU
PUBLISHED SEP 30, 2023
The Hawai’i Rainbow Warriors fell on the road to UNLV, 44-20, in the Mountain West Conference-opener to fall to 2-4 on the season and drop to 0-1 in conference play. The Rebels rushed for over 300 yards on the ground and registered six sacks, dominating in the trenches on both sides of the ball.
Below, you can find the quick hitters of the action from the ‘Bows loss in the 9th Island and slow start to conference play.
- ‘Bows come up empty in first two offensive drives.
- UNLV scores first as Maiava finds Davis Jr. for a 16-yard TD pass out of the backfield.
- Rebels go up 10-0 after a 52-yard field goal make.
- Hawai’i kicks field goal to get on board, down 10-3 with 12:08 left in 1st half.
- UNLV answers with FG of their own, 13-3.
- ‘Bows fumble late in half in own territory.
- Back-to-back Hawai’i personal foul penalties fuel UNLV touchdown drive to close 1st half, 20-3 Rebels’ lead.
- Teams trade three-and-outs to open 2nd half.
- Trick play, flea-flicker 51-yd TD Schager Bomb to McBride to spark offense.
- UNLV drives field and responds with 21-yard TD run by Courtney Reese.
- UH able to chip away with 33-yard field goal to make it a two-score game again, 27-13.
- Rebels drain the rest of 3rd quarter clock, kick field goal to open final quarter and push lead back to 30-13.
- Hawai’i with a quick drive, capped by 38-yard TD pass down the left sideline to freshman WR Alex Perry to cut lead to 30-20.
- 10-play, 80-yard drive over four minutes for UNLV puts Rebels up 17 with 8:18 left to play (37-20).
- ‘Bows see 50+ yard gain for Ashlock on 4th-and-1 called back from pick play, forced to punt away with six minutes left and down three scores.
- UNLV RB Donavyn Lester breaks tackles for a 22-yard rushing touchdown to give Rebels the biggest lead of the day, 44-20
- Hawai’i drives the field before Karsyn Pupunu had the ball ripped from hands in end zone for a Rebels’ INT to close the game with less than 90 seconds left.
Hawai’i enters the bye week with multiple injuries to continue healing from, penalty problems and need to look back at the trenches and two weeks to progress it all before returning to action at home against San Diego State.
The time off to reset couldn’t have happened sooner for the ‘Bows, down Virdel Edwards II and Elijah Palmer in the secondary. Alex Perry did not return to the game after a collision over the middle led to the freshman being checked for a head injury.
You can follow @12brecht on X (formerly Twitter) for updates on Hawai’i Rainbow Warriors athletics.
Maryknoll wins first state title since 1978 with 46-33 win over Hanalani BY MICHAEL LASQUERO | HSRNPUBLISHED FEB 8, 2024HONOLULU — After 46 years, the Maryknoll Spartans are champions once again. Maryknoll won its first...
After time away, Hawai’i MBB commit Aaron-Hunkin Claytor itching to come home BY PAUL BRECHT | HONOLULUPUBLISHED FEB 10, 2024HONOLULU — The thought had been sitting in the background of his mind for a while, but former...
Hawai’i wipes out Stanford in front of packed “White-Out” crowd for Alumni Night BY PAUL BRECHT | HONOLULUPUBLISHED FEB 9, 2024HONOLULU — Who said sweeping white-outs was only for wintry weather? The University of Hawai’i men’s volleyball team...
Scrappy Bows dominate glass, execute late for massive win over UC San Diego BY PAUL BRECHT | HONOLULUPUBLISHED FEB 8, 2024HONOLULU – That changes some math. The University of Hawai’i men’s basketball team opened a big week...
Hawai’i Pacific cruises past Concordia-Irvine behind Sanchez’s double-double BY PAUL BRECHT | HONOLULUPUBLISHED FEB 8, 2024HONOLULU — The Hawai’i Pacific University men’s basketball team dispatched Concordia-Irvine University...
Hawai’i turns on jets, hand Stanford second loss of year in four sets BY PAUL BRECHT | HONOLULUPUBLISHED FEB 7, 2024HONOLULU — The University of Hawai’i Rainbow Warriors dispatched the fifth-ranked Stanford Cardinal in four...
Hawai'i makes quick work of Tusculum to complete series sweep, 25-15, 25-11, 25-7 BY MICHAEL LASQUERO | HSRNPUBLISHED FEB 4, 2024 HONOLULU — The night just kept getting better and better for the Hawai’i men’s volleyball team...
Hawai’i remains hot, grabs season sweep of UC Irvine behind McBee’s strong 2nd half BY PAUL BRECHT | HONOLULUPUBLISHED FEB 3, 2024HONOLULU — Not bad practice before “Beeman’s Big Bash” for UH. In a fight for first place in...
Suzuki's two RBI performance helps HPU rally by Cal State East Bay, 4-2 BY MICHAEL LASQUERO | HSRNPUBLISHED FEB 3, 2024 WAIPAHU — A slow start did not deter the Sharks from victory. After giving up two runs at the top of the...
Short-handed Hawai’i fights by CSU Fullerton despite Lewis’ season-high BY PAUL BRECHT | HONOLULUPUBLISHED FEB 1, 2024HONOLULU — Just another night in the Stan. Down two starters that stand over 6-foot-4, it took some time...